Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Frozen Strawberries

Old habits die hard...I'm saying it because I recall my childhood in Russia and I remember that every summer every Russian family was canning like crazy in order to have something to eat over the cold winter season. That's why every summer I get "Canning Rush". Even living in America now and having fresh fruit and vegetable available all year around at store, I get this urge felling in summer that I need to do some canning. So, that was my preface, now see my effort and recipe for....Frozen Strawberries!

I already have strawberry jam, so I decided to do something different. Frozen strawberries sounded like not a bad idea. All you need is 7 C. sugar and 4 C. water and enough strawberries to fill up you containers. I had 4 big cases of strawberries and it gave me about 4 liters of mashed syrup.

First, mix water and sugar together and bring it to boil and then let it cool down completely.

Clean and prepare enough strawberries for containers you have at hand. I sorted my berries and filled up a couple of clean and dry jars just with the whole berries. I froze then without syrup. The rest was washed and sliced in halves.

You can either slice berries or leave them whole. I wanted mine to be crashed so I can easily use them for lemonade or smoothies. Blender or Cuisinart machine will do the job just fine.

I turned my machine for 3-5 minutes to make sure they all processed.

Fill up the prepared container with crashed strawberries about half of their volume.

Add the sugar syrup to make them full. Place the lid and freeze!

I made me a nice cup of lemonade with lemon slice from the leftover I've got.

3 comments:

  1. Спасибо за идею! Надо попробовать, есть немного ягод в холодильнике, хоть что-то после засухи сохранилось в саду.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Сироп в русских мерах можно?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Да, я думаю, что в русских мерках можно. 7 стаканов сахара и 4 стакана воды.

    ReplyDelete